Delhi’s Indira Gandhi international airport has achieved the feat of becoming the first airport in the country to function entirely on hydroelectricity and solar power. In a recent tweet by the GMR group, this attempt was made in order to reduce the use of approximately 200,000 tons of carbon emissions per year. It is a major initiative taken by DIAL (Delhi International Airport Limited) to reach the milestone of becoming a Net Zero Carbon Emission Airport by 2030 and thereby promoting the usage of renewable resources.
The GMR infrastructure limited- led consortium, DIAL has signed a long term agreement with a HImachal based hydropower company for the supply of hydroelectricity for the aiport until 2036. Through this, approximately 6 percent of electricity requirement is met from the solar power plants while the rest 94 percent of the total demand is met through renewable energy from the hydropower plant since June 1st, the consortium said in a statement to PTI.
CEO of DIAL, Videh Kumar Jaipuriar added, “DIAL has been working relentlessly towards environmental sustainability. To achieve this, DIAL has adopted a Green Transportation program recently and now we achieved another milestone of the Green Energy Program for IGIA”. According to reports, the airport now has a 7.84 MW solar powerplant and a 5.3 MW rooftop solar powerplant has been installed recently.
Other than that, Delhi airport has also installed an electric vehicle charging facility, sewage treatment plant, water treatment plant and many advanced facilities for the convenience of their passengers. Taxibots were also introduced by DIAL generally used to move an aircraft from the terminal gate to take off point and reduce the usage of aviation fuel. In India, Cochin International airport also scripted a chapter in aviation history of becoming the first aiport in the world to operate on solar power.
കൈരളി ഓണ്ലൈന് വാര്ത്തകള് വാട്സ്ആപ്ഗ്രൂപ്പിലും ലഭ്യമാണ്. വാട്സ്ആപ് ഗ്രൂപ്പില് അംഗമാകാന് ഈ ലിങ്കില് ക്ലിക്ക് ചെയ്യുക.
Get real time update about this post categories directly on your device, subscribe now.